Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 1hr | Total: 1 hr 10 mins | Serving: 4 | Yield: 4 servings
Smothered pork chops are a classic Southern comfort featuring pan-fried pork chops covered in simple but super savory gravy. This recipe for smothered pork chops is great over white rice, soaking up the delicious sauce and making this down-home dish a feast. A recipe for Southern Smothered Pork Chops was one of my favorite meals, growing up. As I grew older, I took my mum’s pork chop recipe and integrated it into my comfort food cooking routine with a few of my twists and additions. This recipe is the definition of true comfort food; bold yet perfectly balanced seasoning yields warm and decadent aromas. Try and make a version of this Southern Smothered Pork Chops in Brown Gravy.
4 tbsp butter
(1) onion, thinly sliced and quartered
(4) cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups beef broth
1 ½ cups sliced baby Bella mushrooms, or more to taste
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
(4) eaches center-cut pork chops
½ tsp salt, or to taste
¼ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
(1) serving cooking spray
1. In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter until are browned for (7) to (10) minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove onion and garlic and set aside.
2. Stir flour slowly into butter. Cook until flour is deep brown for 7 to 10 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in broth. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and parsley. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
3. In a large skillet, coat it with cooking spray and then heat over medium-high heat. Add and season pork chops with salt and pepper and brown in the hot pan, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Add gravy mixture from the saucepan. Cover and cook until tender and no longer pink in the centers for 30 to 40 minutes over low heat.
A thermometer with instant-read inserted into the middle would read 145 degrees F (63 degrees C).
1. Make sure you use 3/4 “thick pork chops.
2. You can use butter instead of margarine if you like.
Per Serving: 358.8 calories; 95.7 mg cholesterol; 828.5 mg sodium; 29.7 g protein; 13.6 g carbohydrates.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!