When it comes to desserts that not only tantalize the taste buds but also captivate the eyes, the Strawberry Shortcake Trifle stands unparalleled. This dessert, a cherished recipe from America’s Test Kitchen, is a harmonious blend of fluffy biscuits, creamy pastry, and the natural sweetness of strawberries. Each layer unfolds a new flavor, making every spoonful a delightful experience. Whether you’re hosting a fancy dinner or simply treating yourself, this trifle is bound to steal the show.
- Pastry Cream:
- 5 large egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar (divided usage)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- Pinch of table salt
- 4 tablespoons butter (chilled)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup whole milk (chilled)
- ½ cup heavy cream (chilled)
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 pounds strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream (chilled)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pastry Cream Prep: Begin by whisking together egg yolks, 2 tablespoons sugar, and cornstarch until you achieve a pale yellow mixture. In a separate saucepan, heat milk, salt, and the remaining sugar until it simmers. Gradually whisk half of this milk mixture into the yolk mixture. Return to heat and cook until thickened. Off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla, transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Biscuit Making: Heat your oven to 450°F. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Stir in milk, cream, and melted butter. Drop scoops of this batter on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Strawberry Prep: Keep 6 strawberries aside and cut the remaining ones. Mix the cut strawberries with sugar and let them sit for 30 minutes.
- Whipped Cream: Whip together cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until use.
- Assembling the Trifle: Begin with broken biscuit pieces at the trifle base. Drizzle with strawberry juice, add a layer of strawberries, followed by pastry cream, and then whipped cream. Repeat these layers twice. Garnish with the reserved strawberries.
- Serving Size: This recipe caters to a large group, making it ideal for gatherings.
- Refrigeration: For the flavors to meld beautifully, refrigerate the trifle for at least an hour before serving.
- Versatility: Feel free to add other fruits or even a layer of chocolate for an added twist!
Dive into this Strawberry Shortcake Trifle and let the layers of sweetness take you on a delightful journey. And if you’ve enjoyed making and tasting it, please share the love (and the recipe) with your friends and family!