Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are a culinary gem that has graced many tables across different cultures, offering a delightful blend of savory fillings wrapped in tender cabbage leaves. Whether you’re reminiscing about a family recipe or looking to introduce a hearty dish to your menu, these rolls are sure to win hearts. Their delicate balance of flavors, combined with the rich tomato sauce, makes every bite a comforting embrace. So, let’s embark on this flavorful journey and create a dish that’s not just food, but a tapestry of memories and shared moments. As always, the joy of cooking is multiplied when shared, so spread the love with this wonderful recipe!
- Fresh cabbage leaves
- 1 1/4 lb ground round or pork
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning or thyme
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Tomato sauce (quantity as needed)
- Water, vinegar, and additional sugar for the sauce
- Start by softening the cabbage leaves. Place them in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow them to stand for about 5 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the ground round or pork, poultry seasoning or thyme, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar. This will form the stuffing for the cabbage rolls.
- Lay out the softened cabbage leaves and place equal portions of the prepared stuffing in the center of each leaf. Fold the sides of the leaf inward, then roll them up to enclose the filling. Secure each roll with a toothpick or string.
- In a large skillet, brown the stuffed cabbage rolls on all sides. Once browned, pour in the tomato sauce. In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, vinegar, and water to form a sauce. Pour half of this sauce at the bottom of the skillet, place the browned cabbage rolls on top, and then pour the remaining sauce over the rolls.
- Cover the skillet and let the cabbage rolls simmer for about 1 hour, basting occasionally to ensure they remain moist and flavorful.
- Once cooked, serve the stuffed cabbage rolls hot, drizzled with the rich tomato sauce.
- Variations: Feel free to experiment with the filling by adding rice, different herbs, or even some vegetables for added texture and flavor.
- Serving Suggestions: Stuffed Cabbage Rolls pair beautifully with a side of mashed potatoes or a simple salad. They also go well with a glass of red wine or a refreshing lemonade.
- Storage: If you have leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave before serving.
Indulge in the rich and comforting flavors of Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, a dish that promises to be a staple in many memorable meals. If this recipe brought warmth to your table, don’t hesitate to share it with your friends and family, and let them savor the magic too!