There’s nothing quite like a perfectly moist sponge cake to elevate any occasion. This recipe promises a cake with a tender crumb that stays fresh for days, made with simple ingredients you likely already have in your pantry. Whether you’re celebrating a special moment or satisfying a sweet craving, this cake delivers on all fronts. Dive in, and don’t hesitate to share this gem with your friends and family!
- 225 g (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cut into 8 pieces
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup (125 ml) milk (whole or low fat)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (265g) plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar or superfine sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Preparation: Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F). Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Grease your cake pans and line the bottoms with baking paper for easy removal later.
- Mixing Dry Ingredients: In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk them together to ensure even distribution.
- Creaming Butter and Sugar: In another bowl, beat the softened butter and sugar until the mixture becomes fluffy and light. This process introduces air, making your cake rise beautifully.
- Incorporating Eggs: Add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter and sugar mixture. Ensure each egg is fully mixed in before adding the next. This method ensures a smooth, lump-free batter.
- Adding Flavor: Mix in the vanilla extract, taking care not to overmix.
- Combining Wet and Dry Mixtures: Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. To make the cake extra moist, alternate the addition of dry ingredients with buttermilk.
- Baking: Transfer the batter into your prepared cake pans, ensuring an even distribution. Bake in your preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes. The cake is done when a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, indicating its baked perfection.
- Assembly and Decoration: Once cooled, level the top of the cake using a serrated knife. Layer slices with your choice of buttercream, piling them. Finish by piping or spreading buttercream over the entire cake.
This Super Moist Sponge Cake is versatile. You can experiment with different fillings, frostings, or even fruits. It’s the perfect canvas for your culinary creativity. Whether you enjoy it with a cup of tea or as a birthday cake, its velvety texture and sublime taste will impress. Don’t forget to share your baking adventures and encourage others to try this recipe too!