A bright sunny day, a gentle breeze, and a slice of lemon cake – sounds perfect, doesn’t it? Welcome to our kitchen, where today we’re crafting a luscious, moist lemon cake that’s sure to bring a smile to your face. What’s the twist, you ask? It’s completely eggless! Yes, you heard right. This eggless lemon cake is light, flavorful, and simply irresistible. So, let’s dive right in and start our baking journey!
Gathering the Ingredients
Before we embark on this culinary adventure, let’s gather our ingredients. You’ll need:
– 1 +1/2 cup (180g) all-purpose flour: The foundation of our cake.
– ½ teaspoon (3g) baking soda: This will help our cake rise.
– 1 teaspoon (4g) baking powder: This also aids in making our cake fluffy and light.
– 1 teaspoon (2g) lemon zest: For that irresistible, zingy lemon flavor.
– ¾ cup (180mL) vegetable oil: This will keep our cake moist and tender.
– 1 + ½ cup (300g) caster sugar: To add just the right amount of sweetness.
– 1 cup (285g) yogurt: This will give our cake a lovely tang and moistness.
– ½ teaspoon vanilla extract: For that aromatic, sweet flavor.
– 5 tablespoons (75mL) lemon juice: For more of that zesty lemon goodness.
– ½ cup (120mL) milk: This will help to bring our batter to the right consistency.
For the cream cheese frosting, you’ll need:
– 2 cups (474ml) of full-fat milk: For a rich, creamy texture.
– 2 cups (478ml) fresh cream: To make our frosting extra luxurious.
– 4 tablespoons vinegar/lemon juice: This will help to thicken our frosting.
– ½ teaspoon salt: To balance out the sweetness.
– 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional): For an extra hint of sweetness and aroma.
Crafting the Lemon Delight: Step-by-Step
1. Start your baking adventure by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or 180 degrees Celsius). While the oven is heating up, grease an 8-inch round cake tin and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. Sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and baking powder into a mixing bowl. This not only removes any lumps but also helps to aerate the mixture, resulting in a lighter cake. Stir in the lemon zest to ensure it’s evenly distributed.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil and caster sugar until they’re well combined. Add in the yogurt, vanilla extract, and lemon juice, continuing to whisk until the mixture is smooth and well incorporated.
4. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring gently as you go. You’re looking for a smooth batter without any lumps. Add the milk and continue to stir until the batter reaches a pourable consistency.
5. Pour the batter into your prepared cake tin, using a spatula to smooth out the top.
6. Bake your cake in the preheated oven for about 22 to 25 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when it’s golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. While your cake is cooling, it’s time to prepare the cream cheese frosting. In a bowl, combine the full-fat milk, fresh cream, vinegar or lemon juice, salt, and (optional) vanilla. Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture on high speed until it’s light, fluffy, and holds its shape.
8. Once your cake is completely cool, spread the cream cheese frosting evenly over the top. You can use a spatula or a butter knife for this.
There you have it! Your Lemon Delight, an eggless wonder cake, is ready to be enjoyed. Each bite is a delightful blend of zesty lemon and sweet, creamy frosting, making this cake a real treat. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or new to the world of baking, this recipe is a must-try. Happy baking!