Discover the magic of combining two simple ingredients to create an exquisite pasta sauce. Introducing the Brown Butter and Sage sauce – a timeless classic that instantly elevates any pasta dish. Whether you’re a culinary expert or a kitchen novice, this sauce promises a burst of flavor with minimal effort. Let’s delve into the art of crafting this delightful sauce that’s cherished globally.
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 15 small fresh sage leaves
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Preparing the Butter: Start by cutting the unsalted butter into 8 even pieces. Select a medium-sized, light-colored frying pan and place it over medium heat. Add the butter pieces to the pan.
- Melting and Browning the Butter: As the butter begins to melt, you’ll notice it foaming. Swirl the pan occasionally, ensuring even cooking. Observe the color transformation from a bright lemon-yellow to a rich golden tan, and finally, to a deep toasted brown resembling the hue of toasted hazelnuts. This process should take about 8 minutes.
- Adding the Sage: While the butter is browning, ensure your sage leaves are dry. If they’re damp, pat them dry. Once the butter reaches the desired color, introduce the sage leaves to the pan. They will crisp up in mere seconds, infusing the butter with a robust, herbal aroma.
- Final Touches: After the sage has crisped, transfer the entire mixture to a heatproof bowl. Allow it to cool slightly. Taste the sauce and season it with kosher salt according to your preference.
Usage Suggestions: This versatile sauce pairs perfectly with an array of pasta dishes. Whether it’s gnocchi, ravioli, tortellini, or even risotto, the Brown Butter and Sage sauce will complement and enhance the flavors. For a delightful twist, add nutmeg and black pepper to the sauce when paired with pumpkin gnocchi, and garnish with grated Parmesan and crushed toasted walnuts.
- Variations: If you prefer a less sweet sauce, consider using half-salted butter.
- Storage: The cooled sauce can be refrigerated for a few days. For longer storage, freeze the sauce in ice cube trays. When ready to use, allow the frozen cubes to reach room temperature.
Discover the joy of a sauce made from just two ingredients, yet packed with a punch of flavor. It’s a testament to the fact that sometimes, simplicity is the key to culinary brilliance.
Enjoyed this recipe? Share it with your friends and family and let them in on the secret of the ultimate 2-ingredient pasta sauce!