Sloppy Joes have been a favorite comfort food in many cultures. But imagine taking the delightful, meaty filling of a Sloppy Joe and turning it into a casserole! This Ultimate Cheesy Sloppy Joe Bake does just that. Instead of the usual bun, we’ve topped our casserole with mouth-watering, golden, garlicky slider rolls, and of course, melted cheese! Dive into this recipe to experience a whole new level of comfort food that’s perfect for sharing with friends and family.
- 1 large yellow onion (about 10 ounces)
- 2 small red bell peppers (about 6 ounces each)
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cans (15-ounce each) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 to 12 ounces of shredded Mexican cheese (2 to 3 cups)
- 12 slider buns or dinner rolls
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Preheat your oven for the baking process.
Start by sautéing the onion, bell peppers, and garlic in olive oil until they turn soft and fragrant.
Add the ground beef to the pot, breaking it up as it cooks. Once fully cooked, introduce the tomato sauce, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce, letting the mixture simmer until it thickens.
Once combined, transfer this hearty mixture to a baking dish.
Top the mixture with a generous helping of shredded Mexican cheese.
Neatly arrange the slider buns or dinner rolls over the mixture.
In a separate saucepan, melt the butter, then stir in the remaining garlic and poppy seeds. Brush this buttery blend over the slider buns.
Bake the casserole until it bubbles with delight and the buns turn a crispy golden brown.
Serve hot and enjoy a Sloppy Joe experience like never before!
- For a head start, the Sloppy Joe mix can be prepared up to 5 days in advance. Just reheat and continue from the cheese step.
- Leftovers? Store the filling and buns separately for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
With the Ultimate Cheesy Sloppy Joe Bake, you’re in for a treat that’s perfect for gatherings, potlucks, or a cozy family dinner. It combines the rich flavors of a classic Sloppy Joe with the comfort of a casserole. So, why wait? Dive in, relish every bite, and don’t forget to share this fantastic recipe with your friends!