There are countless pork chop recipes out there, but none quite like this Smothered Pork Chops! Originating from the bustling kitchens of a popular New York City Soul Food Restaurant owned by none other than the man himself, this dish has garnered attention from food lovers across the globe. Tender, flavorful, and dripping with rich gravy, these chops are the perfect centerpiece for a hearty meal. As you dive into this recipe, imagine the vibrant streets of NYC and the soulful rhythms that inspired this culinary masterpiece.
- 6 bone-in center-cut or lean loin pork chops
- 1/4 cup of Bisquick or pancake mix (this is the secret ingredient!)
- Salt and white pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp white pepper recommended)
- Essential for gravy: Onions, flour, boiling water, and a dash of sugar.
Note: Exact amounts and additional ingredients for the gravy are part of the preparation process below.
- Begin by prepping the pork chops: Wipe them with paper towels to dry off. This ensures a perfect sear later on.
- Sprinkle the chops with salt and white pepper for that extra kick.
- Lightly coat each chop with the pancake mix. This gives them a beautiful crust when browned.
- In a large skillet, heat some oil. Once hot, brown the chops on both sides. Transfer these golden beauties to a casserole. (Tip: A large lasagna pan works wonders as it provides ample room for the sumptuous gravy.)
- In the same skillet, sauté the onions with the remaining salt, pepper, and a dash of sugar until they’re lightly browned. The onions will infuse the gravy with a rich depth of flavor.
- Stir in the flour and let it cook for about 1-2 minutes. This step is crucial to remove the raw flour taste.
- Gradually introduce boiling water to the skillet, stirring constantly with a whisk. The mixture will begin to thicken, transforming into a velvety gravy.
- Pour this gravy over the chops in the casserole, ensuring they are well-covered. Seal the top with foil.
- Bake the ensemble at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Once baked, transfer the chops to a serving platter and keep them warm. For those who prefer a smoother gravy, strain it through a sieve, pressing down on the onions with a spoon. (Pro-tip: Keeping the onion bits adds a delightful texture to the gravy!)
- If there’s any fat on the surface of the gravy, skim it off. This leaves you with a silky-smooth sauce.
- Serve these delectable chops with mashed potatoes and generously pour over the gravy. Relish every bite!
Notes & Conclusion:
While some may be tempted to try this dish in a slow cooker, a word of caution: The chops can break apart easily in this setting, especially when stacked. However, if you’re cooking for just two and can lay the chops in a single layer, it might just work. On a personal note, the leftovers of this dish taste even better the next day. So, don’t hesitate to make an extra batch!
Indulge in the rich flavors of this Smothered Pork Chops and transport yourself to the soulful lanes of New York City. Don’t forget to share this delightful recipe with your friends and let the world experience this culinary marvel!